COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) is a respiratory virus with mild to severe symptoms that has become a global pandemic. Owatonna Public Schools staff are closely monitoring information and recommendations from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) about COVID-19 in Minnesota and locally. You can find comprehensive information on COVID-19 at the MDH COVID-19 webpage.
Our school district team continues to prepare diligently as recommended by the Minnesota Department of Health and the Minnesota Department of Education. We are committed to the health and safety of our students and staff and will be following the MDH recommendations as they unfold. Our plans are intended to serve the best interests of students, employees and families as we work together to keep our community as safe and healthy as possible.
Thank you for your support and patience during an incredibly difficult time. This has been a challenging time for our staff, students and families. Thank you for being excellent partners in educating our students. We miss our students and look forward to the next time we will gather.
The most significant things you can do to protect yourself and your family:
- Stay home if you are feeling ill, have a fever of 100 degrees or more, or are exhibiting flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover a cough. Cough or sneeze into an elbow or use a tissue and place immediately in the trash.
- Practice "social distancing" by staying at least 6 feet away from people when out in public.
Staff Plan and Resources: Distance Learning
School and Community Supports for Families
Steele County Community Resources
Mayo Clinic Family Resource
Minnesota Department of Health
National Association of School Psychologists
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
State Information Hotline at the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC): 1-800-657-3504
Letters to Families
- June 26, 2020 (with translations)
- May 21, 2020 (with translations)
- May 1, 2020 (with translations)
- April 23, 2020 - English
- April 23, 2020 - Spanish
- April 23, 2020 - Somali
- March 25, 2020 - English
- March 25, 2020 - Spanish
- March 25, 2020 -Somali
- March 15, 2020
- March 13, 2020
- February 28, 2020
News & Updates
- How Our Schools Are Responding (April 7, 2020)
- April 2020 OPS eNews
- Free Meals for Students During Distance Learning (March 25, 2020)
- Emergency Child Care (March 25, 2020)
- Free Meals During Sring Break (March 20, 2020)
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus Update (March 20, 2020)
- Free Meals March 18-20 (March 17, 2020)
- No School March 18-27 (March 16, 2020)
- What is COVID-19?
- How do the Owatonna Public Schools stay up to date about COVID-19?
- What is the Owatonna Public Schools doing about COVID-19?
- What actions should we take to protect our family?
- Are school building offices open this summer?
- What is distance learning?
- What if we don’t have internet for distance learning?